The phases of the process include testing the genetic structure of the embryos during the IVF application, selecting only the healthy ones, and transferring them to the patient. This application is called pre-implantation genetic diagnosis.
The advantages of PGD
- Enhances the success of IVF application.
- Increases the rate of clinical pregnancy.
- Decreases the potential risk of abortion.
- Minimizes the need of medical termination of pregnancy.
- Decreases the rate of multiple pregnancy.
- Decreases the financial costs and psychological pressure of the recurring unsuccessful IVF trials.
- It gives the family a chance of selecting the gender of the baby they desire to have.
How is PGD Test Performed ?
In case you have a situation that requires PGD , your doctor will recommend you this type of treatment.
The selection of healthy embryos requires a set of processes;
- The process of biopsy is applied on the embryos on the third day. Out of each embryo, 1 or 2 blastomer (cells) are taken. This procedure absolutely does not cause any damage to the embryos.
- These cells are sent to genetic laboratory for genetic test. The results are obtained within 6-12 hours.
- The healthy embryo or the embryo whose gender is determined, if applicable, is reported to be transferred to the expectant mother.
The transfer of these healthy embryos who do not have the specific diseases, enables the mother to have a healthy course of pregnancy.
Diseases that can be screened by PGD:
Single Gene Diseases
- Mediterranean Anemia
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
- Congenital Hearing Loss – Deafness
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Nijmegen Syndrome
- Leigh’s Syndrome
- Niemann Pick
- Otopalatodigital Syndrome
- RH incompatibility
- Factor V Leyden
- Down Syndrome
- Edwards Syndrome
- Patau Syndrome
- Klinefelter Syndrome
- Turner Syndrome and all other types of chromosomal disorders.
Tissue compatibility tests